Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In New York Right Now

It is now exactly one month until I fly out to Seattle. I am getting quite excited as the day of departure for my ride across the States (Seattle, WA to Washington, DC) draws near. As for right now, I am spending a few weeks in New York City with my sister Carolyn, just relaxing for a little bit.

Somewhere on the Upper West Side

Everyday is pretty much the same. I wake up around 11 AM, eat a breakfast of bread and olive oil, cheese, cereal, frozen grapes, and some chocolate. After breakfast I usually set out on Jim's bike for a long ride. After all, I still need to get in shape for the ride.

They live in way upper Manhattan, so I usually hop on the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey and then ride along Bike Route 9 for an hour or just a little more, and then turn around and come back. Contrary to popular belief, New Jersey is actually not entirely the horrible place we have all come to think it is. Aside from the awful cities we know about (Trenton, Camden, Atlantic City, Newark, the list goes on...) New Jersey is actually quite a nice state, almost like any other. On these rides, I usually make it into New York state again around the Lamont Campus of Columbia, and then into Piermont and then over past Saint Thomas Aquinas College before I turn around.

After I am done riding I take a shower and then head to Frank's Market just around the corner and buy myself another French baguette, some more chocolate, and other goodies. Then, I spend a few hours reading (right now I am reading Ernest Hemingway's Complete Short Stories) and then head to the hospital Carolyn works at after getting dinner with Jim. By the way, big cities have a lot of restaurants. From there, my sister and I meet up again and then I follow her around while she runs errands and then somehow we end up back at her apartment. By this time I am usually tired enough to fall asleep after a little bit of more reading and chocolate.

Anyway, that is it for now. I will probably update again as soon as I get back to North Carolina at the end of May, or maybe sooner, if something exciting happens.

Central Park in the Summer

1 comment:

Unknown said...

post picture on internet, you may want to reduce the resolution (pixel) before upload. Because high resolution picture takes fthe visitors orever to download.