Sunday, June 22, 2008

Before the Ride - Day 0

Leaving home made me a little bit uneasy. This is my first time traveling with no one I know personally and saying good bye to my parents was somewhat strange.

Creedmoor, NC

However, I have been in Seattle for two days and two nights now and I am staying with my friend from high school Jaime which is good because I spent time with him early on in high school, so there is some good familiarity there. He is here working as a conceptual artist for the video game company Bungie (based in Kirkland) and was willing to take me in for the weekend to provide free shelter and show me around. Check out some of his work here.

Seattle is a really great place. Aside from the fact that it is generally overcast and drizzling for ten months out of the year there is a lot to see and do. Plus, when the clouds do part for those two month it is quite breath-taking.

Puget Sound

Orientation was tonight and it was really awesome to meet a lot of different people from everywhere. I find it funny how people's ranges for "acceptable temperatures" range so differently. For example, there was a couple I met from around the Seattle area and they are comfortable in 50-70 degree weather. Apparently, 80 degrees is a bit too warm for them. As for myself and Stephanie, the other girl from North Carolina, our comfort range is 70-90 degrees.

All that aside, I start riding tomorrow morning at 7 AM (10 AM for all of you on the East Coast) and by the end of the day tomorrow I will be in Easton, Washington wondering what I have gotten myself into.