Saturday, June 7, 2008

Training around the Triangle

This past Sunday I flew back into Raleigh and since then I have not been doing too much except for training, eating, and sleeping. While this may seem to be boring, being back in North Carolina has its rewards too. About to touch down in the airplane, I peeked out of the window and saw green everywhere. Trees, farms and not a single large building were in sight. Leaving New York, all I saw were buildings and more buildings. But please, do not get me wrong: I am not saying that buildings are terrible things, or that big cities do not have trees. All I mean to say is that it is nice to be back home.

When riding in the past, I usually took my bike out towards Apex and Cary after passing through downtown Raleigh. Recently however, I have been exploring the areas more north of Raleigh. I have ridden into Creedmore, Oxford, and Wake Forest. The roads to and from these places have some of the most spectacular and pristine views and it feels great to be part of the scene. Needless to say, I have been experiencing this state, where I have always lived, in a much different way. I think Alex would appreciate all the true rednecks that I have come across.

And now on to accounting some of my reunions with old friends and other recent developments:

Sunday, I ate three dinners: one at home with my parents, one with Michael and his family, and another one later that night at Cook-Out ($3.99 a tray, how can you resist?)

Monday night, after chatting for a while in Fred Fletcher Park about the "good old days" back in high school, Travis, Dylan, Matt, and I decided that we all had the munchies. At the suggestion of Dylan, we went to Mo Joe's at the intersection of Glenwood and Peace. After 11 PM they sell burgers for $1.00 and all you have to pay for are the toppings. Quite incredible I must say.

Today, I woke up early (8 o' clock) and set out on my weekly long ride. From North Raleigh, I went through Chapel Hill and into Hillsborough before turning around. Counting everything up: I drank two camelbaks and six 24 ounce bottles of water, ate two Nature Valley bars, a peanut butter sandwich and a few slices of a mango, shed three pounds and lost what once was a horrible watch tan that some of you were familiar with.

And now I will leave you with some pictures I have taken on my sweet new camera phone.

One of many fields along Dairyland

Seemingly unused silos

The road back to Chapel Hill

An abandoned house somewhere between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough

No comments: