Friday, August 1, 2008

Burton, Ohio - Day 40

Day 36 - Our last full riding day in Indiana provided for some nice, long and flat riding. We passed by some very nice sunflower fields and although the day was fairly sweltering the ride was still enjoyable.

We ended up in Kendallville, Indiana that night and the mayor met us that night along with a group of friendly locals who cooked us a hearty portion of hamburgers. The reigning debate at dinner that night was "Would you rather fight an orangutan or a tiger?" After we bickered for about an hour, we decided that the only way to answer the question would be to acquire one of each. Shortly after coming to this conclusion we terminated the argument.

Day 37 - The same locals who catered to us the previous night provided a delicious breakfast of pancakes, sausage and eggs. Apparently they did not realize how much we eat though because one kind sir was sent to buy more eggs for pancake batter. I rode in a large group today and we crossed over into Ohio not too far into the day's ride.

Austin (dangerous...), Rueben, Doug and Chad

We ended up at the local fairgrounds that night in Napoleon, Ohio. After going to the pool and enjoying a beautiful summer day reminiscent to those of my middle school days everyone enjoyed a delicious meal of chicken and vegetable kebabs. Shortly before turning in to bed we also enjoyed a domestic disturbance across the street that involved a police car and bright flashing lights. You have to love small-town Ohio.

Day 38 - I did not feel fast today so I rode by myself. On the other hand, in slowing down I got to enjoy a lot of the beautiful Ohio countryside scenery. So far, I think that Ohio has the best small towns. They all look beautiful with houses similar to those in the Olde Raleigh historic district. That night we stayed at a KOA campground in Sandusky, Ohio and a bunch of people went to the Cedar Point amusement park while those of us who do not enjoy large crowds stayed behind in camp to relax.

Poor bird had a broken wing

Day 39 - Today took us through Cleveland on the way to Burton, Ohio. My sister Carolyn went to Case Western, so when I got to the university I got off my bike and wandered around the campus that I had visited once when I was only ten. Cleveland is a really great city right next to Lake Erie. There are a lot of great places to get lost in downtown and around the university. It is just such a big city that you really could not get bored. There is a small street called Coventry that is very similar to Franklin Street in Chapel Hill: a lot of college students and faculty sitting outside drinking coffee and exploring book shops.

Lake Erie


After leaving Cleveland and its suburbs, there were lots of hills to climb and descend. I feel as though as I approach the East Coast I am seeing more diverse landscapes and more trees. After getting into Burton and settling down Sharon cooked us a delicious meal of curry chicken with rice and naan. Following a short Beatles listening party everyone dozed off quickly while Nick and I dreamed about biking Europe next summer.

Day 40 - After an early wakeup a small group of us went out to breakfast and in exchange for a good bike cleaning Austin paid for my meal of biscuits and gravy, pancakes, eggs, and sausage. I then did some souvenir shopping and then got a haircut at a small barber shop.

Before our next rest day we will leave the state of Ohio and enter Pennsylvania. There are only eight more days left in this trip and already I have begun to dread the end. Expect my penultimate update August 7.

If you want to be there to commiserate/celebrate with me in DC, then plan on being there around noon on August 9. The finish is going to be at the intersection of 23 Street and Constitution Avenue. Give me a call if you plan on it and I can give you an updated ETA the night before.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool. It is so close. Remember to take some pictures for those of us not having this opportunity.

Carolyn is leaving NY for Mexico tomorrow morning.

Unknown said...

You have come a long way !!