Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania - Day 46

Day 41 - After waking up late and hastily packing all my wet things I left with Reuben, Austin and Ed. The first stop was at Kent State University; which, for all you history buffs, was the setting for the Kent State protest shootings in 1970. However, being famously unaware of everything, I knew it as the part-time college of writer and Raleigh native, David Sedaris. The ride was short and relatively flat so most of us got in to our lakeside camp in New Waterford, Ohio with a lot of time to spare.

Day 42 - Today was another short day; however, crossing over into Pennsylvania we began our tour of the Appalachians. Thus, rolling hills turned into mountainous climbs and descents. The upside was that the scenery became much more beautiful and tall trees shaded us from the beating sun. Early on, just after crossing the state line, we passed by a nuclear power plant which was pretty awesome-looking and after a short breakfast stop we kept on going and eventually Ed, Austin, Reuben and I caught up with Chad and Greg and rolled into camp in Washington, Pennsylvania with them.

Instead of taking a shower that night, I opted to jump in the pool and swim around for a little bit with Noah and Simon. As I nonchalantly watched Noah toss in a pair of his freshly-used bike shorts and rinse and wring them out right in the pool, I realized that my mother is probably going to be disgusted by my new standards of hygiene when I get back home. That night, for the first time of the entire trip, we started a fire. Unfortunately, we did not have any s'more material, so shortly after some campfire chatter we dozed off.

Day 43 - Today's ride took us through some beautiful trails and back roads. In the densest part of the woods the canopy above us filtered the bright sun in through the tall trees and made the road speckle and dance with bright lights. Sadly, since there was very little light exposure during this part I was unable to take any clear pictures.

Eventually, we came to a small town and after taking a wrong turn up a monster hill and then back down we met up with the other riders on the Yough River Trail. Although the trail was mainly limestone, the riding was relatively smooth and the lack of traffic was refreshing. After a lunch stop thirty miles from camp, Reuben and I left together and finished out the rest of the day on the trail leading right into Confluence.

Day 44 - Today we had the options of riding along a flat bike trail or climbing Mount Davis, the highest peak in Pennsylvania.

Of course, the people I usually ride with and myself decided to do the climb. It was an incredibly rewarding experience. Still though, it worried me when I had to stand up and put weight forward on my bike for fear of popping a wheelie. The climb was beautiful and the foggy morning was a peaceful contrast to my ready-to-explode heart.

That rest of the day featured a few smaller climbs and rolling hills. We ended up in Bedford at a campground right next to the Cannondale factory. Dinner that night featured hamburgers, turkey burgers, veggie burgers and lots of salad. After a beautiful lakeside dinner a few of us stayed around just chatting and realized that going back to civilization is going to be so strange. I feel as though I have forgotten about nearly all social conventions. Forgive the awkwardness, please.

Day 45 - Our ride leaders described this day as the hardest day on the ride - the "final exam" if you will. The first forty miles featured several big climbs and quick descents. The last sixty miles consisted mainly of rolling hills and one last ridge to climb and descend over before we arrived in Gettysburg.

As per usual, I rode with Ed, Austin and Reuben. However, Patty's friend Chappy joined us today and she told him to ride fast. Being the idiot that I am, I tried to stick with him and thirty miles left to camp I just could not sustain his pace, so I found Chuck and Reuben who hauled me into camp past all the battlefields.

After showering and settling down, a bunch of us went out to dinner in downtown Gettysburg. Afterwards, Simon and I walked through the battlefields checking out the attractions and making our own tour in the extremely creepy nighttime.

Day 46 - Doug, Nick, James, Stephanie, Ed, Austin and I went to town for a spot of breakfast and afterwards Doug, Nick, James and I rode our bikes through the battlefields and stopped every now and then to read the plaques set up where important scrimmages and battles took place.

A dramatic interpretation of the Union destroying the Confederacy
(Note: Doug wearing a Team USA Jersey)

I am only two days away from completion and as I have said before, this trip has been incredible and I do not want it to end. Tomorrow I will end up in Clarksburg, Maryland and the next day I will be in Washington DC. Expect my last update complete with final thoughts sometime after I get back to North Carolina.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

See you tomorrow. Mom bought some buns for us while traveling and we will keep a couple for you.

We are excited!!!